Hours of Operation
SAFE HAVEN IS CLOSED JANUARY 6, 2022. We will reopen January 13, 2022
SAFE HAVEN is offers a grab and go lunch every Thursday beginning at 12 Noon. The lunch is distributed on the BACK Parking Lot. There is no restroom available.
Pre -COVID, Safe Haven was a drop-in day shelter for the homeless, the hungry, and anyone who needs a place of respite and a good meal. The shelter was established in 1996 when a First Christian Church member discovered several people who were homeless sleeping in our outdoor sanctuary. Bill LaLiberte recognized the need for a “safe haven” where folks could go to get out of the elements, have a good meal or two and find a place of spiritual comfort. Safe Haven has evolved from serving 15 people a day to an average of over 100 people a day. We operate Safe Haven in partnership with Fairfax County and New Hope Housing.
- Hot breakfast and lunch
- Clothing Closet for men, women
and children. (First-come, first-serve basis. Open from 10:00am-1:00pm subject to volunteer availability. Please note that we have a very limited quantity of clothing; this is not a full-service clothing program)
- Basic medical advice
- Computer / internet access
The following faith communities and organizations provide volunteer support for Safe Haven:
- Annandale United Methodist Church
- Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center
- Einstein Bagels of Falls Church
- Falls Church Anglican Church
- First Christian Church of Alexandria
- Great Harvest Bread Company, Arlington
- Knox Presbyterian Church
- Legal Aid Justice Center
- Rising Hope Mission Church, Alexandria
- Rock Spring Congregational United Church of Christ, Arlington
- Clare & Don’s Beach Shack
Click here to learn about Safe Haven Team Coordinators: Susan Tramposch , Susan Holbert and Cassandra (Cass) Johnson.