Hours of Operation
UPDATED: Due to the COVID19 Shelter in Place Orders, SAFE HAVEN is offering a grab and go lunch every Thursday beginning at 12 Noon. The lunch is distributed on the WEST Parking Lot. The church facility is closed and there are no restroom facilities available. We look forward to reopening soon!
Every Thursday from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Breakfast is served at 9:00am and lunch is served at noon
Safe Haven is a drop-in day shelter for the homeless, the hungry, and anyone who needs a place of respite and a good meal. The shelter was established in 1996 when a First Christian Church member discovered several people who were homeless sleeping in our outdoor sanctuary. Bill LaLiberte recognized the need for a “safe haven” where folks could go to get out of the elements, have a good meal or two and find a place of spiritual comfort. Safe Haven has evolved from serving 15 people a day to an average of over 100 people a day. We operate Safe Haven in partnership with Fairfax County and Northern Virginia Family Service.
- Hot breakfast and lunch
- Clothing Closet for men, women
and children. (First-come, first-serve basis. Open from 10:00am-1:00pm subject to volunteer availability. Please note that we have a very limited quantity of clothing; this is not a full-service clothing program)
- Basic medical advice
- Computer / internet access
The following faith communities and organizations provide volunteer support for Safe Haven:
- Annandale United Methodist Church
- Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center
- Einstein Bagels of Falls Church
- Falls Church Anglican Church
- First Christian Church of Alexandria
- Great Harvest Bread Company, Arlington
- Knox Presbyterian Church
- Legal Aid Justice Center
- Rising Hope Mission Church, Alexandria
- Rock Spring Congregational United Church of Christ, Arlington
- Clare & Don’s Beach Shack
Click here to learn about Joni Laurence and Donna Hawley, our Safe Haven Co-Coordinators.